Here’s a quick recap from my first post about the Network Learning Project for ED 7714. My goal for this project is to complete the framing and insulation for the BatCave by the time this class has completed in mid August. After the walls are framed I will have my electrician come in and set up the electric hook-ups before insulation. I am doing it this way so that my electrician can have access to the junction boxes in the ceiling of the room without having to move around insulation, which is made of fiberglass.
At the time of my previous post, Tim and I were able to frame half of the back wall. We did not get much framing done that day since we had to blueprint the room and pick up all the supplies from Home Depot. In order to do this accurately, we had to measure the square footage of the room, by simple length (L) x width (W). I watched a quick video by Tim Gibson to make sure I calculated the square footage correctly.
In our most recent session we were able to get both the interior (side) and back wall framed, as well as boxing (framing) in the ductwork running from the back wall to the bathroom overhead. Framing the walls was rather easy, as we got into our groove after putting the first frame together the previous session. When putting together a frame, you must make sure that your studs are exactly 16” apart, better known as being “16 on center.” This is to provide utmost support for hanging sheetrock.
Boxing in the ductwork was a very challenging task as it called for holding heavy frames in place for extended periods of time. The toughest task was making sure that the framing was flush, or leveled. This means that the frame needs to be perfectly leveled so that the sheetrock can be flat, providing a nice even look when the walls are done. After a couple attempts, we were able to get the frame for the ductwork level, making day 2 a success.
I am learning so much from this process, not just from learning by doing, but also searching the web for quick how to videos that will give me a sense of how to attack a certain step in the process. Youtube and Google searches are becoming my best tools, along with my friend Tim (although he doesn’t count as an Internet resource).
Taking advantage of the vast amounts of resources on the web is teaching me so much in how a room is built. This process of using my resources online is the same process I use in building my classroom environment; finding materials online that will best suit the goals I set for myself.
My goal for the next update is to finish installing the nailers (where the sheetrock is screwed into) onto the ductwork framing and finish at least half of the exterior wall frame. I look forward to continue learning and updating my readers on the progress of The BatCave!