BatCave Update: Shelving the Closet

Batman logo courtesy of DC Comics
Batman logo courtesy of DC Comics

This week I did not get as much done as I would have liked in the BatCave. I was away in Virginia from Tuesday to Friday visiting Michelle’s sister and family. My original goal was to find time to finish the nailers on the ductwork and at least half of the exterior wall. Unfortunately, I did not get the exterior wall done. I did get the nailers done, and made an adjustment to my schedule so that I did not fall behind.

Since I did not have much time this week to work on the BatCave’s exterior walls, I decided to change my approach and build the closet shelves, which does not take a lot of time. I have never built shelves before, and took to Youtube to find some resources that could be of help. I came across HackaweekTV’s video on building closet shelves, which gave me a good idea on how to start the process of putting shelves in the basement closet.

I wanted to put 3 levels in the closet for storage of our paint cans, air conditioners, and other miscellaneous items around the house. In order to do so, I measured four inches from the back wall to the front for the top level, and cut the brackets thirty-four inches long so that they would be sturdy enough to hold a good amount of paint cans. Once I had the correct measurements and cut the two brackets to size, Tim took his DuoFast nailer (high powered nail gun) while I held them leveled in place, and shot three nails into each bracket.

Next, we needed to install the second set of brackets that would serve as the second and third set of shelves. These brackets would need to be longer since they will be holding heavy air conditioners during the winter season. I decided to measure this set of brackets a foot longer (forty six inches) than the previous bracket. Once the brackets were cut to size, we took the DuoFast nail gun and nailed the brackets into place.

IMG_0014
3 level closet with crawl space access

Lastly, we needed to install the actual shelves. This step was rather easy, as all I had to do was measure the distance between the two walls, and the distance from the side wall to the front of the closet. For the top shelf I cut the shelf thirty-eight inches long, and for the second shelf I cut that fifty-one inches long. The distance from the side wall to the front of the closet was about five feet, so I wanted to leave enough room to eventually install a bi-fold door. I cut these two pieces to size and placed them on top of the brackets we made earlier. The final result was a nice, sturdy shelving unit consisting of three shelves. There is also a crawl space underneath for light items we rarely need.

By applying the skills learned from using resources available on the Internet (Youtube), it is really helping me understand how things work when framing and putting things in place. The knowledge learned in previous updates were vital in helping me understand where the brackets needed to be and the tools needed to get the job done. Even though I did not meet my initial goal for this update, I made an adjustment to still get something done so that I do not get too far behind.

Now that the closet is out of the way, I can focus solely on getting the entire exterior wall framed for my next update. This will not be as easy as the interior wall, as I have to frame around the electrical box and the chimney access panel. With the resources available online, I am up for the challenge!

-John V

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s