In my last BatCave post I made it a goal to tidy up any framing that was not flush and any other miscellaneous work that might need to be done. The other goal was to finish the insulation by this post. After attempting to do so, I learned that that goal was a little too much to handle.
I decided to flip that goal and turn it into two. I will hold off on tidying things up until I am done with the ceiling insulation. My current goal is to finish the insulation some time this week.
I currently have half of the insulation completed in the basement ceiling, and look to finish the rest tomorrow. I installed all the shorter pieces first, which were primarily near the exterior wall. The reason for insulating my basement ceiling is so that it keeps the noise level from traveling to and from the basement to the living room upstairs. I am not going to insulate the walls since there is a steady temperature in the room already.
The room is 275 sq/ft, so I bought five batts (48.96 sq./ft. each) of rf-19 insulation to do the job. This was a good level of insulation as the thicker you get, the more sound proof the room will be. I used a video posted by JB Bartkowiak on Youtube on how to measure and cut the pieces of insulation. I measured from the exterior wall to the edge of the floor frame, allowing the insulation to sit snug into the ceiling. One side note, insulation is made of fiberglass, so it is imperative that you wear gloves and long sleeves if you do not want to run the risk of cutting yourself or getting itchy skin.
Once I had my measurement for each ceiling frame, I measured the insulation accordingly for each frame and cut these measurements using a utility knife. When cutting the insulation, use a scrap piece from your 2x4s to hold down the insulation where you are making your cut. That was very helpful in making for an easy cut. I then pushed each piece of insulation into the ceiling frames, pulling each as tight as it could go to maximize the sound proofing of the ceiling. Once I had each piece in place, I unfolded the flaps on each side of the insulation and stapled them, using a staple gun, to the wood frames in the ceiling. I like to staple every four to five inches to ensure the insulation stays in place.
Insulating the first half of the ceiling was not as challenging as the framing was, but the next half of the insulation process will be much more difficult as there are several ceiling frames that go directly from exterior to side wall, with no pipes or other barriers in between. I envision it to be difficult insulating around the lights and junction box as well. The next half might call for a two-person job. I hope to have a video clip for you on the next update as I look to achieve my next goal of insulating the BatCave ceiling.